FreeBSD console tweaking
Suggestion for /etc/rc.conf:
allscreens_flags="-h 7000 MODE_280"; saver=beastie; blanktime=300; cursor=destructive; font8x16='iso-thin'
For context, look in /etc/rc.d/syscons. Apply with "service syscons start".
You can set the current video mode of a particular virtual console with:
vidcontrol MODE_280 < /dev/ttyv0 > /dev/ttyv0 2>&1
View the available modes with:
vidcontrol -i mode < /dev/ttyv0
Some good modes are:
- MODE_24 is the default text mode with 8x16 font, which yields 80x25.
- MODE_30 is the traditional text mode with 8x8 font, which yields 80x50.
- MODE_274 is 640x480x32 with 8x16 font, which yields 80x30.
- MODE_277 is 800x600x32 with 8x16 font, which yields 100x37.
- MODE_280 is 1024x768x32 with 8x16 font, which yields 128x48.
- MODE_283 is 1280x1024x32 with 8x16 font, which yields 160x64.
- MODE_346 is 1600x1200x32 with 8x16 font, which yields 200x75.
Some historical font files for VGA consoles are archived here: http://bilbo.hobbiton.org/consolefonts/